A massive Federal agency was deploying a ERP program and needed to ensure that thousands of users learned the system and were comfortable with numerous process changes.
The Greentree Group Solution
Greentree provided a full spectrum of OCM support. Our consultants developed a robust change management approach and plan – determining core objectives, key performance indicators, in-depth stakeholder analysis, change impacts and integration across the field. Core OCM workstreams developed and supported throughout implementation included communication, readiness and measurement, education, training, and workforce development. Central to success of this OCM effort was development and cultivation of an advanced change agent network, where field personnel were entrusted with developing relationships and understanding user and stakeholder needs to refine and improve the OCM approach. The change agent network became the trusted representatives of the project and served as the conduit of all program, process, and technical information – helping to prepare stakeholders and users for the transformation. Our robust approach and plan defined core objectives, key performance indicators, in-depth stakeholder analysis, and change impacts. Our support included tactics and solutions such as:
- Development of Leader-specific playbooks to explain the purpose and need for change management activities and the importance of their role in successful implementation
- Implementation of regular status reporting to senior leadership showing assessment results and findings based on direct user involvement
- Development of specific communication and presentations for delivery by senior leadership to impacted users and stakeholders – highlighting benefits, wins, and purpose
- Implementation of individual leadership coaching sessions to provide best practices and tactics that can be utilized by leadership to guide and inspire transformation
- Development of Analysis, Design, Develop, Implement, Evaluate (ADDIE) Model-based training strategy and system training modules
- Development/delivery of computer-based, instructor-led education (IAW best practices)
Our training support helped prepare affected users and stakeholders for the transformation:
User Preparation and Training Support:
Greentree consultants designed an enterprise-wide training strategy for affected users. Our consultants leveraged the team’s support within system design to help develop and coordinate numerous system training modules to help prepare them for system transition and new business processes.
Specific tasks included:
- Determining user impacts/project complexity analysis needed for effective user transition
- Development of user preparation communication products
- Facilitating description/depiction of project’s “Big Picture” for user education/understanding
- Facilitation of role development and assignment to users
- Development and coordination of in-depth training IAW ADDIE standards
- Coordination of deployment and sustainment activities impacting users (i.e. archiving from current system, help desk/support setup)
Training was delivered via web session, instructor–led delivery and over-the-shoulder. Our analysis with functional leaders helped determine the most effective means to reach various populations of impacted users. Greentree consultants also developed job aids for users to utilize for quick reference during the early stages of implementation.
Ultimately, our efforts were recognized as a major success and as user adoption of the ERP proved to be more effective through the use of OCM principles. Furthermore, OCM activities were fully integrated with the PMO’s internal system management processes, providing a seamless integration with program planning and execution.
Share this Post